The job of the Assessors is to assess property values accurately and fairly. The tax rate is determined by dividing the amount of money appropriated by Town Meeting by the total taxable property values.
Assessors’ Meetings: usually Thursdays at 5:00 p.m., unless otherwise posted
- Natalie Whitcomb, Chair
- Malcolm Corse
- Russell French
- Laura Hutt, Assessors’ Clerk
- Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays – 9 a.m.-2:00 p.m.
- Thursdays, 10 a.m.-2:00 p.m.
- Lee Whitcomb, Administrative Assessor
- Hours: available by appointment at your convenience or by chance
Please contact us as follows:
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: (413) 369-4235 x5
- Visit us at Town Hall, 5 Academy Hill Road
- Write to:
Conway Board of Assessors
PO Box 240
Conway, MA 01341
Notice to Board of Assessor employees: As of April 1, 2018, the new Pregnant Workers Fairness Act goes into effect. For more information about the new law, click here: Guidance on Pregnant Workers Fairness Act 2018-01-23
A multi-layer web-based map of Conway is now available. To get started, please read:
General information regarding taxes:
- FY19 Local Tax Rate Comparisons
- FY19-Tax-Rates_10-year-change_rev (1)
- A Proposition 2 1/2 Primer
TAXPAYER GUIDES to Personal Exemptions on Local Property Tax: https://www.mass.gov/lists/property-tax-forms-and-guides
Informational Guides for:
- Legally Blind Persons: https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2018/01/02/dor-proptax-guide-blindexempt.pdf
- Qualifying Senior Citizens: https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2018/01/02/dor-proptax-guide-seniors.pdf
- Qualifying Surviving Spouses, Minor Children & Elderly Persons: https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2018/01/02/dor-proptax-guide-survivors-child-eld.pdf
- Qualifying Veterans: https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2018/01/02/dor-proptax-guide-veterans.pdf
- Religious and Charitable Organizations: https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2018/02/23/dor-proptax-guide-religious-charitableorgs.pdf
- for real estate tax deferrals:https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2018/01/02/dor-proptax-guide-deferrals.pdf
Personal Tax Exemptions Application Forms. Usually due December 31st.
- For Seniors, Surviving Spouses or Minors, Veterans, Blind (Form 96): https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2018/01/02/dor-proptax-form-96.pdf
- Clause 18 financial hardship: activated military – age and infirmity (Form 98): https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2018/01/02/dor-proptax-form-98.pdf
TAXPAYER APPLICATION FORMS
Abatements. Deadline usually November 1st.
Applications to be completed and submitted to Board of Assessors for abatement
- Real and Personal Property Tax: https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2018/02/26/dor-proptax-form-128.pdf
- Community Preservation Act exemption for low income persons and low-moderate income seniors (Form CP-4): https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2018/01/02/dor-proptax-form-cp4.pdf
- Motor Vehicle Excise, Long Form: https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2018/02/26/dor-proptax-form-126-mve-long.pdf
- Motor Vehicle Excise, Short Form: https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2018/02/26/dor-proptax-form-126-mve-short.pdf
- Manufacturers-Farmers (Form 126A-MVE): https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2018/02/26/dor-proptax-form-126a-mve.pdf
- Boat Excise (Form 126-BE), Long Form: https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2018/02/26/dor-proptax-form-126-be-short.pdf
- Boat Excise, Short Form: https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2018/02/26/dor-proptax-form-126-be-short.pdf
Classified Land — Ch. 61, 61A, 61B. These applications are due October 1st.
Applications to be completed and submitted to Board of Assessors to classify forest, farm and recreational land.
- Annual Application for forest-agricultural or recreational land classification: https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2018/02/23/dor-proptax-form-cl-1.pdf
- Annual Property Owner’s Acknowledgment of rights and obligations under classified forest land program (Form CL-1(61)): Forest land program (Form CL-1(61)): https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2018/02/26/dor-proptax-form-cl-1%2861%29.pdf
- Agricultural or horticultural land program (Form CL-1 (61A)): https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2018/02/26/dor-proptax-form-cl-1%2861b%29.pdf
- Recreational/Open Space land program (Form CL-1 (61B)): https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2018/02/26/dor-proptax-form-cl-1%2861a%29.pdf
- Application to modify a decision or abate a tax for classified forest-agricultural or horticultural-recreational land (Form CL-7): https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2018/02/23/dor-proptax-form-cl-7.pdf
- For Chapter Land FY2020 Values visit https://www.mass.gov/doc/chapter-land-61-61a-values-recommendation/download
- Information about Ch 61/61A/61B classification programs: http://www.masswoods.net
- Clause 18A financial hardship property tax deferral (Form 99): https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2018/01/02/dor-proptax-form-99.pdf; Application for Clause 18A Tax Deferral and Recovery Agreement: https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2018/01/02/dor-proptax-form-99-1.pdf
- Clause 41A senior property tax deferral (Form 97): https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2018/01/02/dor-proptax-form-97.pdf